Dojo Kun – The Oath of a Kyokushin Karateka

Parking receipt
Parking receipt.
Yesterday, I did not attend regular dojo training. I had been caught up in some technical issues with my tablet SIM at the Vodafone-BeMobile kiosk and wasted precious time. After more than 45 minutes I had lost my patience and felt like scream (or punching) the young lady who was trying to help me. At the end of the day it was simply too late to go.

When I was home I had time to reflect on what had happened and how I had nearly lost my composure. Before I started learning karate, I was a bit violent, and somewhere inside it is still there. In fact, all humans have a tendency towards violence. However, through rigorous training and meditation, karatekas (and martial artists) learn to tame or contain the beast.

In Kyokushin, we recite the dojo kun (oath) after class to remind ourselves of goals of self-betterment. As a senior student, leading the recital is my responsibility, and I kind of feel down that I almost forgot the oaths.

Kyokushin Kanji
Kyokushin kanji
Kyokushin’s oath was written by Sosai Mas Oyama and famous Japanese author Eiji Yoshikawa, and encapsulates the philosophy of the art.

Here are the 7 oaths.
  1. We will train our hearts and bodies for a firm unshaken spirit.
  2. We will pursue the true meaning of the martial way so that, in time, our senses may be alert.
  3. With true vigour, we will seek to cultivate a spirit of self-denial.
  4. We will observe the rules of courtesy, respect our superiors, and refrain from violence.
  5. We will follow our religious principles and never forget the true virtue of humility.
  6. We will look upwards to wisdom and strength, not seeking other desires.
  7. All our lives, through the discipline of karate, we will seek to fulfill the true meaning of the Kyokushin way.
As the oath is recited after every class, it is a constant reminder of what a Kyokushin Karateka must strive for.

Osu!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kanpai – The Kyokushin Way